Back in the mid-1850's Tarcowie was an outstation on the Pekina Run, having permanent springs to the north of the present township.

As the years passed Tarcowie has had an Hotel, Post Office, two general stores, butcher, boot maker, saddler, two blacksmiths, wheelwright and a garage. The Hotel was the last to close, but mail is still delivered to the Hall three times a week.

In 1976 the very active Progress Association, which keeps the town extremely tidy, established a walk through a portion of the parklands to the south of the township and dedicated it as a Native Flora reserve. The trees, shrubs and plants are identified by a number, which can be checked against a brochure available at the main gate.

Tarcowie has an excellent 9 hole golf course.